Friday, March 21, 2008

The Arrogance of Believers

I read an article recently in the Daily Toreador, Tech’s campus newspaper. I use the term “read” loosely, because I tend to just skim through the articles very quickly. This particular article had caught my attention because the author was discussing religion. This author was not an adherent of any particular religion, and while I’ve forgotten most of the content, one line did stand out to me: He said that the concept of human beings having the ability to converse with – and make requests of – the Almighty creator of the universe seems arrogant.

Wow. What’s really striking to me is that he’s right. Who are we, really? Outside the context of Christianity, humans are just another species in a long evolutionary procession. Sure, we seem to have control of the planet now, but from a scientific viewpoint, we’re just one species among billions, and our time for global dominance will eventually end, just as the dinosaurs’ did. With respect to the divine, we have no more right to approach God than the ants do.

And yet we do have, if not the right, then at least the opportunity. As Christians in our society, we seem to take God and His omnipotence for granted. Not only do we assume the right to make petitions before God, we demand it. “God, get me out of this mess.” “God, why did you allow this to happen to me?” “God, fix my… [insert problem here: job, marriage, kids, etc.].”

I, for one, am grateful for that author’s column. It has reminded me of the incredible privilege I’ve been given. Not only does the Almighty creator of the universe know me and care about me, but He allows me into His presence. I’m free to be in His presence, to worship Him, and yes, to converse with and make requests of Him. That’s a perspective I’d like to keep in mind.

No comments: