Friday, March 21, 2008

In Hot Pursuit

I’m sitting outside on the patio of Staci’s Grandma’s place in Vero Beach, reading a book, when a splash noise catches my attention. I look up and see a male duck chasing a female around the little lake out back. And I do mean chasing. They’ve been at it for at least ten minutes at this point. Flap, flap, flap, splash. Flap, flap, flap, splash.

I assume this is mating time. It does seem barbaric by our standards, but I suppose that’s the way things are done in the animal kingdom. And you know, I see parallels in that scene and the way God loves us. Not nearly so aggressive, but no less relentless. God won’t force us to love Him, but the Bible refers to the hounds of heaven pursuing us.

I’m stricken, too, with thoughts of how many of us spend a considerable amount of time and energy desperately running away from God’s love. Here He is, trying to surround us with a redemptive, all-consuming love, and we’re trying to escape it with every ounce of our energy. I’m convicted that I, for one, need to stop running and doing for a change so I can just let God inside for a while.

No comments: